Monday, January 22, 2007

Question #2 - Fahrenheit 451


What is the climax of this novel? What happens? How do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this novel is when Guy Montag feels so overwhelmed, he kills Captain Beatty. Beatty said several things to Montag that made him kill Beatty. The last thing he said to trigger Montag's anger was, "Well, that's one way to get an audience. Hold a gun on a man and force him to listen to your speech. Speech away. What'll it be this time? Why don't you belch Shakespeare at me, you fumbling snob? 'There is no terror, Cassius, in your threats, for I am arm'd so strong in honesty that they pass me as an idle wind, which I respect not!' How's that? Go ahead now, you second-hand litterateur, pull the trigger." (Pg. 119) Probably the most shocking revelation during these events is the fact that Beatty wanted to die. Montag realizes this when he thinks, 'He had just stood there, not really trying to save himself, just stood there, joking, needling.' (Pg. 122) It first seems odd that Beatty wanted to die, but it actually does make sense. He was miserable from the book burning life he was living, so he just let Montag kill him.

The events in this novel make me feel contemplative. I would have never imagined a world where people are not allowed to read books or have their own opinions. If the world really became like the one presented in the book, I don't think it would be very appealing to me. When I first started reading the book, I thought the things that were happening were a bit strange, but later I realized those events could actually happen, which is a very scary thought. I hope that what happened in Fahrenheit 451 will always remain purely fiction for the rest of time.

2 comments:

African Globe Trotters. said...

I absolutely have to agree - this better only remain fiction the alternative is too scary. Mrs.Mc.

Lauren said...

I agree with you. That was definitely the climax of the novel.